If you’re a cheese lover and looking for a creative way to enjoy your favorite mac and cheese recipe, then you’re in for a treat! Imagine a big board filled with different types of cheese, including cheddar cheese, goat cheese, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, and more, all beautifully paired with a variety of accompaniments. This Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board is a fun way to indulge in your cheesy cravings. Let Food to Impress guide you through creating the ultimate cheese board, complete with a mouthwatering baked mac and cheese recipe that’s sure to impress your guests.
The Art of Cheese Board Creation
Creating a cheese board is an art form in itself. It’s all about selecting the perfect cheeses, arranging them on a board, and complementing them with a wide range of textures and flavors. And when it comes to a Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board, you have the opportunity to take this art to a whole new level.
The Cheese Selection
Let’s start with the star of the show – cheese! For a Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board, you’ll want to include a variety of cheeses that can complement your baked mac and cheese dish. Cheddar cheese is a must, with its rich and sharp flavor. But don’t stop there; add some creamy goat cheese, melt-in-your-mouth mozzarella, and the boldness of blue cheese.
To make your board even more interesting, consider adding unique cheese varieties like cranberry chipotle cheddar with hints of spice, or blueberry wensleydale with fruity notes. These cheeses will add a delightful twist to your charcuterie experience.
Now, let’s talk about the accompaniments. A great cheese board is all about balance, so you’ll want to provide different textures and flavors to complement the cheeses. Here are some ideas:
- Fresh Fruit: Slices of fresh fruit like apples, pears, and grapes are a great way to cleanse your palate between cheese bites.
- Nuts: Consider truffle marcona almonds for a luxurious touch or roasted nuts for a crunchy topping.
- Meats: Traditional charcuterie board items like Italian meats such as bacon, Italian salami or pancetta add savory notes to the board.
- Bread: Baguette slices or crackers are essential for creating the perfect cheese and cracker bite.
- Dips: A dollop of fig & orange cream cheese can add a creamy and sweet contrast to your board.
- Spreads: Don’t forget about spreads like olive tapenade or honey, which can pair wonderfully with cheese.
- Hot Sauce: My family LOVES buffalo style hot sauce on their mac and cheese so I have to include that on the board!
If you want a more kid friendly board add ketchup, pickles, applesauce, and mini hot dogs on the side. The kids will go crazy for it all!
Building Your Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, it’s time to assemble your Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Choose the Right Board: Select a large slate board or any other board of your choice. Make sure it’s clean and dry.
- Arrange the Cheeses: Start by placing different types of cheese around the board. You can cut some into bite-sized pieces and leave others as slices or wedges for variety.
- Add the Accompaniments: Fill the spaces between the cheeses with your chosen accompaniments – fresh fruit, nuts, meats, bread, dips, and spreads.
- Include the Baked Mac and Cheese: At the center of the board, place an oven-safe dish with your freshly baked mac and cheese. Make sure it’s golden brown and bubbling with cheesy goodness.
- Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some fresh herbs like parsley or chives over the mac and cheese for a pop of color and flavor.
- Serve and Enjoy: Set out small bowls, plates, and utensils for your guests to serve themselves. Encourage them to mix and match different cheeses and accompaniments.
The Perfect Mac and Cheese Recipe
Now that your Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board is ready, let’s dive into the delicious baked mac and cheese recipe that will be the centerpiece of your spread.
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (for a hint of spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Parchment paper for serving
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the all-purpose flour and whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes until it forms a smooth roux.
- Slowly pour in the whole milk and heavy cream while continuing to whisk. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the shredded cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, blue cheese, and goat cheese. Stir until the cheeses are fully melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Season the cheese sauce with cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir well to incorporate the spices.
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and mix until the pasta is coated evenly.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to an oven-safe dish lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle some extra cheese on top for an extra cheesy layer.
- Broil the mac and cheese on high heat for a few minutes until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with fresh herbs, and serve immediately alongside your Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board.
Where to Find Unique Cheeses for Your Board
I love to go to Trader Joe’s for unique and inexpensive cheeses. They have many different kinds of goat cheese, feta cheese, and a delicious chive cheese that my family enjoys!
- Some cheeses mentioned may have a highly perishable nature, so be sure to check the dates.
MORE CHARCUTERIE IDEAS
Check out more ideas:
- Huge collection of Charcuterie Board ideas
- Brie Charcuterie Board
- Chili Charcuterie Board – these spicy flavors would go great with a Mac and Cheese board
- Chicken Wing Board
- Pretzel Board – another traditional food snack board to add to your table. If you love Mac and Cheese you probably love pretzels and hot dogs too!
Mac and Cheese Charcuterie FUN
A Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board is not only a delicious spread for cheese lovers but also a fun and creative way to enjoy your favorite mac and cheese recipe. With the right selection of cheeses and accompaniments, you can create a cheese board masterpiece that will impress your guests and elevate any gathering. So, gather your favorite cheeses, get creative with your accompaniments, and start assembling your own Mac and Cheese Charcuterie Board for a cheese-filled adventure like no other!